Hitting 30, I turned around and started prepping for another Iconic Deep Gnome Wiz. This was mostly me starting to groom my inventory (I would so love at least one more personal and 1 back inventory slot) to trim down and empty the reincarnation cache.
It’s always a painful, long and arduous experience for me.
And when I couldn’t fit everything I had to unlock another bank slot plus 2 inventory by running some low level stuff.
Having already experienced Deep Gnome twice I’m now working on ensuring I practice some of those experiences. Such as keep a tight ship. If you have an idea what made things work last time – build on it and sharpen the stick.
I ran almost all quests including Epic. So I have a fresh idea what works and what not. PF works – but it needs more dedication. And when it doesn’t work – you need a back up plan.
I call my build a Phantasmal Dualists. Meaning a six shooter type PF killer.
- Color Spray works for most part. Keep it solid. It’s an excellent way to blind creatures at the least and stop them dead in their tracks at the most.
- Phantasmal force works on everything living except puddings and the like (and construct types)
- Broadly speaking Evocation, Enchantment and Illusion will cover most important scenarios in the quests.
- I invest Intelligence, Constitution and Wisdom. Int and Con at Max and the rest on Wisdom.
- Invest in Spot and Search. Search is int based and you can easily pop into the 60-80s by the time you’re level 30. Enough to find most traps and such.
- Detect traps. Level 1 Divine spell and scroll. Buy a stack of it. When rogues can’t find something, you can. Hunter’s Spyglass is terrific here. It adds search and spot. It’s either a simple switch over or perma gear early on.
- Each past life of Deep gnome gives +1 Illusion DC and +5 Acid Spell Power – it is perhaps the singular most powerful Iconic past life for casters.
- As a Deep Gnome there’s a host of different insta killing spells in play. 2 cheap PF (SLA), FoD, Circle of Death, Powerword Kill and Wail of the Banshee